I have wanted to study abroad in France ever since second grade when I promised my cousin Helga I would one day stay with her without the sheltering of my parents. She found me to be shy of the world which is probably true in some respect, but there is feistiness that lies beneath as many know and I hope to balance out the two. It saddens me to travel to Paris knowing she is not there anymore to welcome me, because in my eyes Paris and Helga are one in the same, my "Grandma" equals the "City of Lights". She was a living history herself coloring buildings and streets with vivid memories of the war and tales of life and death. And so I am keeping my promise to her and going to Paris where I shall make my own memories and unfortunately see that her apartment no longer exists as it once did. Although the building still stands in Porte Maillot with its black terraces and white shutters, she will not be there amidst her drawings and furnishings. When I see this I shall ask myself do places, locations really mean anything if the people that made them important are no longer there?
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
It's time.........That's what she said!
I have decided to blog, something I never thought I would do, but Chinsky has convinced me otherwise. I must admit that writing nonsense in a journal at a cafe sounds much more romantic than typing away on a computress (word choice courtesy Joeye), but who knows perhaps I shall venture to do both. If your long, busy days full of obligations and work permit you the time to read what I write I should be very grateful, that is if I actually continue to write.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm so happy you have decided to blog. I feel like i'm walking around the museums and sipping hot chocolate with you. You write so descrpitively. This is better than any email you'd ever send me!!
ReplyDelete