Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Parents are here let's be p.c.

My parents came to Paris. It was like a page out of a dream I was walking near Le Marais and they came into view and I embraced them on the street. I couldn't believe they were there and I didn't care that was speaking English a mile a minute. I was ecstatic. We spent the days walking around the area window shopping and resting in the beautiful parc PLace Des Voges a quad surrounded by gorgeous buildings that used to be the lodgings of the king and queen I believe. It was so nice to saunter around not paying attention to if it was getting dark and enjoying all the sights, I have forgotten to do that/ haven't felt the comfort when I don't have them-it is like instant vacation when I Have my parentals around. I feel like a child again and give up the responsibility of money and decision making. We saw some amazing art galleries, one place featured people's bodies but they were only half whole, a briefcase linking the legs to the head in which there was no torso. We ate at a wonderful phalafel place and just enjoyed the sights.
The next morning I went to my parent's hotel for breakfast. They were at a cute hotel which was styled in the 1700's, all rococo sculpture and fake candles that moved in the chandeliers ( you are welcome for these details). But OMG the breakfast, hot chocolate, fresh baguettes, buttery croissants, cheese, jam, yogurt all digested in floral tapestried chairs. We again walked around Le Marais all the way to Pompidou and I showed them all of the fantastic fashions a feast for the eyes completely but I was sooo late for class. After class, we shopped on rue du rivoli and had to go pick up things my father had attained from an auction of my cousin Helga's things. Then we got kosher crepes and then we got kosher sushi where the sushi went around the restaurant on a conveyer belt and you would just pick up what you wanted. While looking for the sushi place a boy in a velvet suit jacket passed wearing a kippah and we dad asked him where it was. He said follow me and that was that. THen my dad talked up the waiter and practically every boy he saw that looked my age everywhere we were to go thanks dad. But, this was the star to my eating very well for the next two weeks. On the metro back we saw an orthodox man walking up the stairs and he immediately said Hag Pesach Kasher I'Sameach. (This was before Pesach)I don't know how he knew we were Jewish but it was amazing that my family and him had a conversation in Jewish on the steps to the metro in Paris.
The next day, I met my parents at Notre Dame after getting talked to the creeper who wears all white and hangs around the church picking up women--he is there every time I go, doesn't he have a life? When I met up with my parents we sat in a picturesque cafe overlooking Ile De la Cite and the seine with the leaves of the willow trees swaying in the breeze. I ate ice cream chocolate and coffee to be exact. We strolled the main street of Ile de la cite and got an extra rustic baguette after walking through an old church on the island I wished I remembered something about that church but I don't. There was a vvisit to the Orangerie sometimes that day which was lovely. THey have panels of Monet that line the circular walls of two room from floor to ceiling. The scenes were serene and magestic with lily pads laying on soft blue waves and he green of willows and brown of branches stirring the flowers and water. THe colors were magnificent and the details were pleasing. It was like seeing the stuff of what nature was made of at a microscopic level, which came together to show the most naturalistic and beautiful image of nature. To finish the day, we had dinner with friends of the family at a very good kosher restaurant. The fanciest I have been to with nice presentation why don't we have restaurants like this in Chicago? THe kind of place where you don't realize it is actually kosher. And to top it off was the cab ride home in which the cab driver was listening to our conversation. I was trying to be sarcastic by asking my dad what's this and what's this and saying which rev there were so many etc and the driver thought I knew nothing of paris but then we explained I was studying here and learning French and automatically became impressed especially when I told him my address in French!? Ya I guess that means I Must be fluent. Well apparently he spent the entire ride after I was dropped off babbling about how smart and pretty I was and how I knew everything about French culture. O how I adore cab drivers especially the ones I used to pick up at Bastille after the night bus dropped me off t empty streets and night terrors. It is a miracle I was safe and survived I can't believe that even the empty streets of Paris seem safe at 4 am when in reality they must be crawling with the worst sort of horrors imaginable don't you think?

2 comments: