Monday, September 7, 2009
Pere Lachaise
Marina was kind enough to let me join her and her mother on a field trip to Pere lachaise, a very infamous cemetery. Some of the most famous and influential people are buried in this sprawling cemetery. And I Must say I susually find cemeteries to be depressing and cold places you cannot wait to leave but this was not the case here. It was the most beautiful and comforting ad peaceful one I have veer been to. I loved the older section with its snaking paths and overgrown trees. It was as if you were in a lovely fairytale forest that happened to have bodies buried in it. The uppersection was more modern and had definite paths and memorials. I loved the old Jewish section where I found the tomb of the famous Rothchilds. How exciting- I always wanted to marry one but I guess I will have to settle for meeting the dead ones. It was deep in the Jewish section, which was serenely and eerily tranquil with trees canopying the dusty pathway. Also in this section was the silence tomb which depicted a face emerging from the concrete with a finger up to his lips shushing everyone who passed. I loved seeing all the Hebrew writing on the ancient gravestones in the midst of an overwhelmingly catholic cemetery in a catholic paris in a Christian country. You can really see how Jews were able to adapt to their numerous surroundings, assimilate yet leavea peaceful mark and it is nice to see remnants whereas in other places those memories are forever erased. Through the winding paths I met famous artists like Daumier and Delacroix, Pissarro and Ingres, Gericault and Modigliani. I saw Edith Piaf’s grave in the more modern section and even the ashes of Isadora Duncan in the mausoleum. I said hi to MOliere next to La Fonatain to whom I recited his famous poem La Cigale et la fourmi. I saw Oscar wilde covered in lipstick kisses and Nadar with his photographs which documented Paris’ underground. And of ourse the tom where if you touch the bread basket, lips, and feet you will be married or pregnant within the year. Don’t worry I refrained……….I saw all the memorials for the second world war which was very upsetting yet done in a very fitting manner.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment