Sunday, March 15, 2009
Light up the night
I was a bad Jew. Friday I did go to Le Marais and I picked up some grape juice and even bough two challot at a kosher bakery....I mean that much was kosher. At the bakery I asked for two challot and the man behind the counter went to the area of the breads and said something in a dejected voice that sounded like raisin, so I said oui, his face lighted up, this in turn worried me because I thought there was something wrong with these two breads.....I mean I had never seen anyone get so happy that I was ok with raisin bread, but I could tell as I was walking home and could smell the bread that they were just fine. I guess the French don't like sweet things so much or maybe in venues of their life other than bread. As I went ina dn out of kosher shops I perused the ulta fashionable boutiques that share the quarter with their orthodox counterpart. That night I planned on meeting my friends at the eiffel tower to see it sparkle while drinking champaign, what what gerondif nous regardeons le tour eiffel en buvant le champagne. something like that. sorry for the grammaire shoutout. So after davening I realized I didn't have time to eat dinner and feeling a little distressed by my bad decision making against shabbos I was about to leave when Muriel brought her friend up to the apartment. She introduced me to Katia and I was on my way. However, as I was hurriedly rushin down the street and saw the boulangerie closing I realized it had been our plan to eat a baguette with cheese as well so I ran back to my apartment. If I wasn't going to celebrate Shabbos properly the least I could do was share my customs with my friends I mean who doesn't like bread even if it has raisins. As I entered the apartment Katia jumped out at me excitedly "I'm so happy you returned" she said after you left I was contemplating the strangeness of your name and then I found out you were Jewish I didn't get to tell you that I Am Jewish as well. Look at what I just took off and she thrust her purse in my face whose remnants contained a mogen david the size of my fist that she apparently wears as a necklace. Then she told me that she is very involved with the Jewish community in Paris and receives emails daily about events going on and she even invited me to Shabbos dinner at her place next week to which she invited a rav from Israel that she had helped in the street the week before all in a jumble of engish and hebrew. Right after I left she said she had run to the door to find me but I had already been gone mein hashamim she said. After this chance meeting I rushed to the eiffel tower and met up with my friends. There I said the prayers over my grape juice and challas while watching the tower light up for 5 minutes at eveyr hour the entire things sparkles and the top lets off a spotlight.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment