Wednesday, March 25, 2009

You have found Marat yet again........That's what she said

Let's just say that I tend to gravitate towards Marat in life, which is not always a good thing if you meet his very verey very great-grandson.......I don't expect you to really understand, I can explain in person. OMG I had the most amazing lunch for 6 euros, goat cheese and spinach crepe followed by nutella and banana crepe washed down by oragina......soo good. Thought I'd share. I had a really interesting site visit at the police archives. Did you know that the French invited the mugshot? Yes it is true. So of course they had plenty of those there which for me is interesting to see, becasue I try to imagine that someone's face and expression in these shots tells the world about them.....looking into the eyes of a criminal. Mugshots are much more appealing when in black and white or sepia, because they have a historic feel and well frankly they can't hurt me. It is interesting how we get interested in the things that scare us, the photos they had of murder scenes which so fascinating and we even got to see the blade of a guillotine. I also saw photographs of Rue du Rivoli festooned with Nazi flags. I guess I am constantly searching for ways to relive the pst and to try to experience what something must have been like, so it really hit home when I saw the flags on a street that I have walked on numerous times.
My lady had another man friend come..same routine, apperatives and kosher chicken yay. I always get so nervous for these visits with the talking and the new men folk but they really are so enjoyable. The food was delicious and I actually understood most of what they talked about, very existential and intangible. The amazing thing for me is that I was able to put in my two sense. I am going to be self consumed here and talk about my moment of success, simply because it has been so difficult and mentally exhausting to try and articulate the mind's motions in French and I feel a little peak of sunlight lately. They were talking about reincarnation and asked me what I though so I asked them the question "What do you think happened before you were born?" and they actually found that to be quite intelligent. For me it has always been in my mind, because I fear that that empty nothingness could be the rest of existence, but that sparked further conversation and her friend even said I spoke well! I found out that Muriel is half Egyptian and me who likes to think about history and they way it has changed human relations funnily thought in my head how ironic it is that the Egyptians once enslaved my people and now this lady is happy to buy me kosher food and offer me a room. Before I said goodnight, her friend remarked that I was charming and intelligent and that I came from a good family. I shall have to tell my father I responded.
Maybe now I can have legit conversations in English because I force myself to ask the simple, obvious questions in french as they are easy for conversation. Such skills used to allude me in the english language as I tried to carry on conversations and was afraid to ask the mundane, but if I can talk to my French language partner for two and a half hours in French, granted I throw in some franglish, I think maybe I will be able to carry on an unawkward exchange with other Americans. I really have had two good days of speaking and understanding, but I am so afraid I will lose it at any moment and regress. C'est la vie.

1 comment:

  1. *You were able to put in your "two *cents" (2nd paragraph, line 6)

    ReplyDelete