Monday, June 1, 2009
I command you to go to this museum
On a lovely sunday I took bollywood again, I think I have found my calling. I want to move to India and study it. It was interesting this time around because we did some classical Indian and it was great to see how the classical got incorporated into the hip hoppity ness of bollywood. Then I went to the Nissim de Cammondo museum which is a mansion in the 8th originally owned by Sephardic Jews. The patriarch collected all home furnishing that were made before the revolution so it is crazy to think that this home that looks like a 18th century palace was in habited in the early 1900's. The decor is sumptuous with rococo drawings and even a painter by the woman artist Vigee-Lebrun who is famous for painting Marie Antoinette many a time. Nissim even owned a knitting table of Marie Antoinette. Sadly the heir died in WW! and heiress died at Aushwitz, martyrs of France. IT is hard to imagine that they lived in such splendor a petite mansion in the middle of Paris complete with tapestries, nooked beds, paintings galore, and satin furniture. First came Vaux Le Vicompte then Versailles then Nissim de Cammondo. It even looks out over Parc MOnceau where I had a picnic of bread and cheese amidst collumned lakes and flowered mounds.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
you only have a little more time left...
ReplyDeletebetter make the most of it!
THEN IT'S THE U.S. OF A.