Monday, June 1, 2009
Shul twice in one day.....sweeeeeet
I finally found a shul I like which overlooks Place Des Voges. It is amazing to be in the middle of a service with the stained glass window slightly open which affords you a perfect view onto the parc. I'm sure the original owners wouldn't be too happy that services are being held there either. Better yet I didn't have problems entering the shul (usually the what I like to call "bouncer" interrogates you before letting you enter due to security reasons), but the first two times I went the door was simply opened for me. However, the third time, a new guy was there and he started asking me questions in a really soft voice I couldn't understand him at all. Thankfully, a man came by and said he knew so I had an easy in. SOmetimes it is nice to be a 21 year old girl, but not as fun later when the man introduced himself and said now I Must meet you after pretending to know you. I had visions of french mistressism in my head and thankfully I was ushered away by the rabbi's wife becasue she invited me to lunch. I got the impression from the community that although I do not see it anti-semitism simmers underneath the surface of Paris, but more strongly in the banlieues of course. But it was quite nice having lunch with the rabbi, his wife, her parents and his parents. It was a big meal from veal to red peppers to potatoes to mushrooms to salmon and the rebbitzin's mother was British so she helped with some translations. I took a liking to the rabbi's father who reminded me of my grandfather quite the joker...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment