Monday, August 10, 2009

2 Museums in 1 day ooo the humanity

On this day, a friday I recall, I did my usual rounds in Le Marais stopping to get challah and grape juice mannnnn France has the best grape juice it is so sweet so much better than Kedem. Then I took the metro to Louvre Rivoli to meet Marina for Museum hopping, this time I was on time but on another Friday I had made her wait at le Musee de l'art moderne de la ville de Paris where I had helped an American girl find kosher food at the same time running into some mates from Michigan all in the Jewish quarter on a friday before Shabbas-small world. At Musee de l'Art Moderne we had explored the massive Matisse room with the full wall painting of brown and taupe dancers and the larger than life paintings of thick stripes either all pink or all blue. It was a great sprawling white washed wall room to have a dance show in. Initially we had gone so that I could research Giorgio Chricho the surrealist artist for my French project. As I suspected I am not a big fan of surrealism, its like me saying carrots goby I like SCRUPULOUS lollipop in a sentence because I can. I formed a sentence with words that wouldn't usually go next to each other/exist but I did it. It has a deep deep meaning I assure you. It was still a lovely exhibition well laid out and full of multi media. The museum on a whole has a huge collection, my favorite artwork (excuse me for I have no artist name at the moment) were painting with the thickest texture I have ever seen. It looked like Jackson Pollack mixed with Impressionism on drugs. The paint was so thickly laid on in splurts and strokes that it literally projected out into the space. There was also the modernized version of Manet's Le Dejeuner sur L'herbe in comic book style. We had gone there for Howard's class and it was there that I began to talk more. It was during his class that it took me a minute to realize the photograph I was looking at was a man peeing on the street, it was dually noted by Howard. The nice thing about the museum was that the eiffel tower could be viewed across the river looming majestically over the sun down courtyard of the musee which was now a skate park. Another cool facet was the half oval room completely covered in a mural entitled la Fee Electricite by Raoul Dufy. A fluffy weaving of images and people documenting history academics, and technology amidst black outlines and ethereal pastels. I was transported. Funny story there, I had to leave my shabbos tools at the vestebule and the lady said have a good holiday-it was so sweet but I got a similar response at the museum I went to another friday with Marina-Musee des arts decoratifs- the two Black men there said something along the lines of enjoy your party. Everyone knew I was having a little Shabbos celebration I think?.....
That museum however was quite lovely housed in a wing of the Louvre building. It had furniture and architectural decoration throughout French history and I especially loved the art nouveau section with the flowing lines derived form nature to create wooden masterpieces and flowering glass. In the 60s era room they literally had a fashion show of chairs of every color and shape and size arranged just so in the middle of the lofty room and even more there was a film playing of scenes from movies from the 60s that featured your quintessential 60s interiors, I watched it from the comfort of my 60s chair which was a glass ball cut open and hanging from the ceiling-how parfait. From there I ran to the musee gustave moreau to meet up with Howard and some of my class for an impromptu showing. It was the artist's home and studio featuring a staircase that swirled upstairs like a ribbon. One could see his private dwelling which were small and quiet a world away from the busy streets outside, and of course his works.It was unlike anything I had seen before, a symbolist painter who mixed historical and biblical scenes with an otherworldly feel, intricate cities that resembled Gondor from Lord of the rings, compositions of bodies and jewels and magic that defied gravity with realistic brushstoke that melted into color and outline. Afterwards Marina and I sat at a cafe with our professor to discuss our upcoming project on Monet's panels at the Orangerie and life I guess. Instead of espresso royale we were sipping coffee at the busy intersection of St. Trinite in Paris. Everyday there was truly an adventure and a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment