Sunday, August 30, 2009

Musee Marmottan

One of our last site visit was at Musee Marmottan on a drizzly day. Downstairs in the museum I really felt at home and relaized all of the art historic knowledge I had acquired throughout the semester. We focused on looking at Monets. We compared two paintings of his, one of the glycerol ethereal Nymphea of pastel water lillies and a more abstract nature scene of pont japonais with more intense coloristic brushstokes that resembled the former but on drugs. My professor took a poll of which one was more admired by the student body and I alone rested in my convictions of liking the more serene classical one. ALl the other hipsters and modernists unanimously like the other and the prof would not get over it. He had an entire discussion of how the monet would rest in my room in aa and would probably sell for a much higher price. It was quite funny and then I related the happening to ball vs. modern dance and we had a whole other discussion comparing modern and post modern art to dance forms and how I view dance in the dance world quite lovely. ALmost as lovely as when I asked this certain professor to analyze the style of every girl in the program. This was also the first class where I felt very involved in the material. I was surprised by the information I knew pertaining to the style of furniture upstairs and how to describe painting. For the first time i felt like a semi art historian like the time the professor told everyone they had become junior scholars after analyzing objects in musee carnavalet. I had researched the social, political, and religious aspects of Marie Antoinette's hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment